Skip to ContentSkip to Footer

Do I Need Commercial Property Insurance If I Work From Home?


If you run a business from your home, your homeowners insurance may not provide all the protection you need. Some homeowners insurance companies have denied claims that they determined to be related to business rather than a legitimate homeowner claim. Consult with our agent on whether you need commercial property insurance in addition to your homeowners policy.

What Does Commercial Property Insurance Cover?

Commercial property insurance is designed to protect the physical assets (property and equipment) of a business against covered perils such as fire, theft, and natural disasters. It can cover:

  • Building in which the business is housed
  • Signage
  • Computers, phone systems, furniture, and other office equipment
  • Inventory in stock
  • Accounting records
  • Vital company documents

Does Your Home Business Need Commercial Property Insurance?

Many small business owners and entrepreneurs are working from home. If you have the option to start your workday in your robe and slippers, that doesn’t make your business any less real, or any less in need of insurance protection. Neither a homeowners insurance policy nor a renter’s insurance policy will cover a home business. To be adequately protected, you will likely need some type of business insurance package, including commercial property insurance.

How Can Commercial Property Insurance Protect Your Home Business?

Your home business likely has some type of property or equipment. This may include office furniture, a computer, a printer, and other equipment. In the event of a fire or other disaster, your homeowners insurance will not pay to replace business property, but a commercial insurance policy will.

Do I Need Other Business Coverage In Addition to Commercial Property Insurance?

Our friendly agent can advise you on the types of business insurance you may need to protect your home business. The following are common types of coverage purchased for businesses run from home.

Liability Insurance

In addition to protecting your business property, you may also need liability coverage if clients or other visitors come to your home for business purposes. Business liability insurance protects your business against liability for damages suffered by others on your property. For example, your homeowners insurance would not cover you if someone visiting your home for business reasons was injured on your property. This is when commercial liability insurance kicks in.

Commercial Auto Insurance

If you use a vehicle for business purposes, you may need commercial auto insurance. Business trips could involve visiting clients, making deliveries, picking up items related to your business, or any other business use. Your personal auto insurance policy may not cover you if you are involved in a crash while using your vehicle for business purposes.

Product Liability Insurance

For a business that manufactures or sells any type of product, you may want to consider product liability insurance. It is designed to protect your business from liability for damages to persons or property caused by your products. You may need this coverage if you are involved in designing, manufacturing, or supply of products.

Professional Liability Insurance

Professionals working from home need liability insurance to protect them in case of claims based on negligence or failure to deliver. You may need professional liability insurance if you are a consultant or professional with a home-based business.

Get A Quote

* indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Customer Reviews

Great customer service and out of this world rates!!!

Nicole L

So Helpful and polite!

Dolores D

They were prompt in returning my inquiry and quickly responsive...

Charles W

The rates were competitive and the overall experience was great.

Jeff A

...they are ALL great agents at the Derek Wiley Agency, Inc.

Don Waterfield photo
Don W